Smith Global Consulting Fellows
The Smith Global Consulting Fellows program is designed for students who have an interest in the world’s people and cultures and a desire to apply business and language skills to enhancing economic development worldwide and helping others succeed. The goals of the Global Consulting Fellows program are:
- Developing global awareness and appreciation for the world’s business cultures, and cultural competencies for students seeking to work in the global/consulting arena, whether for U.S. firms or for companies and agencies abroad.
- Providing instruction and practice in business consulting concepts and methods in international contexts.
Students in Global Consulting Fellows will study intercultural issues in global management and learn skills in group research and consulting through two courses: Cross-cultural Challenges in Business, and Practicum in Global Consulting. Students will work in teams to conduct research and develop feasible business ideas which contribute to business, social and economic development, especially in emerging economies.
Dr. Pat Cleveland is the Faculty Champion for this program.
Curriculum – 1-year program
- BMGT 364 (Management and Organization Theory) - Pre-requisite; may be taken concurrently with BMGT463F
- BMGT 463F (Cross-cultural Challenges in Business) - Fall
- BMGT 468P (Fellows Program Practicum in Global Business) - Spring
- COMM 107 or equivalent highly recommended
Co-Curricular Activities & Events
- Intercultural communication and negotiation workshop
- Site visits to embassies, global firms located in Baltimore/D.C.
Fellows Program Eligibility
- BMGT majors - Management or International Business majors preferred, but all BMGT majors encouraged to apply. (You may also apply if you are applying to Smith for 2014-2015.)
- Preference for those with double-major or minor in foreign language or demonstrated fluency
- Junior standing – advanced-standing sophomores with BMGT core completed will be considered
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
The application period for the 2014-2015 Fellows program has closed.
Questions? Contact Emily Doane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sophomore Global Mindset Consulting Colloquium
The Sophomore Global Mindset Consulting Colloquium is aimed at students who want to develop a deeper understanding what constitutes a global mindset. Students will also learn how to best apply global mindset techniques and practices to address real-world business situations by participating in a real-time consulting project with EY. Aimed to ready students to address contemporary global business issues, this program is open to all majors.
Curriculum-1 semester program
BMGT298F: Global Mindset Consulting Colloquium*
*Course will require substantial out of class commitment due to consulting project
- Must be entering second year at Smith during Fall 2014 semester
- All Business majors are encouraged to apply
- Must have taken the Global Mindset Inventory
- Must have completed 75% of Freshmen Fellows Events
Now accepting applications through February 21, 2014: ter.ps/mindset14.
Questions? Contact Kristin LaRiviere at email@example.com.