Course closed for 2015. 2016 global business courses will be announced in Spring 2015.
This global business course is only open to 2nd and 3rd year MBA students.
Doing Business in Brazil: Emerging Multinational Companies
For the Academic Year 2014-15, the BUSI798 series will be four credits total (1 credit in the fall, 3 in the spring) starting with the one credit fall BUSI788 course.
Students in the fall BUSI788 one-credit course will automatically be registered for the spring BUSI798 module.
Sao Paulo & Rio de Janeiro
Depart March 13, 2015 (arrive in Brazil on the 14th); Return March 21, 2015 from Brazil
|Program Fee and Dean's Global Scholarship||
The $2,250 program fee covers shared hotel room, some meals, cost of any scheduled cultural activities, professor and partner costs. Not included: international airfare, personal expenses, and most meals.
The $1,000 Dean's Global Scholarship is available to eligible full-time and part-time MBA students who are participating on a UMD program abroad in 2014-15. Only students who have not studied abroad previously on a UMD program are eligible for this $1,000 scholarship. There is no application form required for the scholarship. Instead, it will be automatically applied to your student account after our office has verified in our records that this your first time studying abroad with UMD.
There is an additional $250 to the Education Abroad Office as well as a $23 fee for the mandatory insurance. A visa is required for US citizens, and costs around $130. Students of other nationalities should check the consular office for visa information and requirements. Your passport must be valid for 6 months after your return date, and you should have 2 blank visa pages available.
Register on Testudo for fall BUSI788B section BA01 at the same time as your other fall courses. You will automatically be registered for the other module(s).
Emerging markets have become one of the main drivers for global growth in the past few years. After two decades of economic turbulence (1980's and 1990's), Brazil certainly seems to be on the right path for sustained growth. This course will bring a comprehensive view of the challenges and opportunities related to doing business in and from Brazil. We will focus both on multinational companies operating in Brazil and local companies at different stages of globalization.
The course comprises lectures, company visits, cultural activities and an opportunity to work directly with a company on a critical issue. Through direct contact with executives and academics working in the country, students will obtain hands-on knowledge of Brazil and expand their business network.
- Look at the main challenges and opportunities that global companies face in Brazil
- Expose students to emerging global companies with rapid growth and high potential
- Interact with local companies looking to expand abroad
- As Brazil hosted the soccer World Cup in summer 2014 and will host the Olympics in2016, we will also take some time to learn about the business and cultural implications associated with these events.
- The in-country flight is not included in the program fee.
- UMD's regular withdrawal and refund schedule applies for the one-credit BUSI788B course. Students dropping the course series after October 15 (when we make financial commitments abroad) will be charged the program fee equivalent.
- Do not purchase airfare until course is confirmed. Students are advised by UMD Education Abroad to purchase refundable airline tickets.
- Students are responsible for obtaining and paying for their own visa and/or entry fee.
- The time abroad IS the class and any instances of: being late and therefore delaying the group, noise in hotel hallways, damage to hotel rooms, hung-over behavior, sleeping during meetings or public displays of affection will be frowned upon as it would for any business traveler on meetings or conferences abroad. You are expected to incorporate professionalism while abroad, and professionalism is part of your total grade. It is our intent to develop world citizens and savvy business travelers, and the courses abroad should be undertaken as serious academic endeavors.
- Students are welcome and encouraged to participate in more than one BUSI788/798 abroad during your time at Smith; up to two course series can apply towards the MBA degree.